The 19th International Wildlife Law Conference (IWLC-19) was held on June 3-4, 2019, in Barcelona, Spain. The conference is being hosted by the University of Barcelona Faculty of Law in partnership with the Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy of Stetson University College of Law. It brought together a variety of professionals involved in wildlife conservation, including lawyers, policymakers, and scientists.
This event welcomed not only law professionals/students with an interest in wildlife, but also wildlife professionals/students with an interest in law. IWLC-19 included papers on a range of legal and policy frameworks related to wildlife protection and conservation, including the following:
- Coastal and near-shore biodiversity
- UNCLOS and the conservation of marine biodiversity in areas beyond national jurisdiction
- Ethical and legal issues related to trophy hunting
- International scientific assessments and their implementation into international and domestic legal regimes
- Increasing the effectiveness of protected areas
The Journal of International Wildlife Law and Policy welcomed the submission of manuscripts based on IWLC-19 presentations.
IWLC-19 was organized by:
- Universitat de Barcelona, Facultat de Dret
- Institute for Biodiversity Law and Policy, Stetson University College of Law
- Proyecto DER2017-85406: “Diversidad biológica y derecho Internacional: Nuevos problemas y tendencias,” Gobierno de España, Ministerio de Ciencia, Innovación y Universidades
- Jean Monnet Chair on EU Environmental Law (Universitat de Barcelona)